We've got high hopes for our newest sets of pollinators!
So yesterday I removed the cork in the bottom of her little cage and replaced it with a mini marshmallow ... The worker bees who care for the queen will eat through the marshmallow to release her ... The others will work on building comb (a brand new hive has ten empty frames) and she will start laying in the cells they create. This year we were able to add several frames with built out wax/comb from our other hives which will give them a head start and should add a little extra insulation on these chillier nights.
To install the bees:: we remove the can and the little queen cage and then dump the bees into the brood box (having previously removed about half of the frames). We carefully replace the frames around the bees (there are about 12,000 bees in three pounds), install the queen cage, and close them up.
We will feed the new hives 1:1 sugar water using the 1/2 gallon inverted pails until there's a good/steady pollen source.
We will check on Sat to see if the queens have been released ...
And accepted ...
And hopefully laying new brood!